Hedge Fund Elliott Management to Finance Lawsuit Against Streamer Quibi
Elliott, run by billionaire Paul Singer, will fund the suit by interactive-video company Eko and take an equity stake
Hedge fund Elliott Management Corp. is financing a high-stakes patent lawsuit against Quibi, the new streaming service founded by entertainment veteran Jeffrey Katzenberg, according to people familiar with the situation, putting power players of Wall Street and Hollywood on a collision course.
Elliott has agreed to fund a suit brought by interactive-video company Eko, which claims Quibi is violating its patents and has stolen trade secrets, the people said. As part of the financing, Elliott would end up with an equity stake, the people said.
The size of the equity stake couldn’t be learned, though it is a substantial investment, the people said.
The litigation concerns a Quibi feature called “Turnstyle,” which the company has described as a groundbreaking technology. It plays different videos for users depending on how they are holding their phone, switching in real time between horizontal and vertical versions.
New York-based Eko, whose official corporate name is Interlude US Inc., has demanded that Quibi stop using its technology or license it. It is suing for a preliminary injunction and damages.
In a statement, a Quibi spokeswoman denied that the company infringed on Eko’s patent, calling Eko’s lawsuit meritless.
In litigation financing, a party typically agrees to fund a lawsuit in exchange for a cut of the proceeds or settlement. Sometimes the funder also secures equity in the plaintiff.
Elliott Management, run by billionaire Paul Singer, has dabbled in litigation financing in the past, but its involvement with a lawsuit against Quibi is still fairly unusual, a person familiar with the matter said.
The fund, which manages more than $40 billion, is best known as one of the largest and most aggressive activist investors. It takes stakes in public companies to push for changes and has clashed with big-name corporations from AT&T Inc. to Twitter Inc. Elliott also has taken on bankruptcy and debt situations, including those involving foreign governments. One of its most well-known fights is its 15-year crusade to get Argentina to make payments on defaulted bonds. The fund in recent years also has invested in multiple private tech companies.
Elliott’s connection to Eko comes partly from Mr. Singer’s ties to the technology scene in Israel, where Eko was founded, and to some of the interactive-video company’s investors, the people familiar with the situation said.
Elliott’s agreement with Eko reflects its belief in Eko’s legal case and in the company’s technology, the people said.
Eko filed its lawsuit in Los Angeles federal court in March. A hearing on its request for a preliminary injunction is expected as soon as this week.
By financing the lawsuit against Quibi, Mr. Singer will be taking on Mr. Katzenberg, one of Hollywood’s biggest names and fiercest competitors. Earlier in his career, Mr. Katzenberg ran Walt Disney Co.’s movie business and co-founded DreamWorks SKG as well as the animation spinoff DreamWorks Animation SKG Inc., which he sold to Comcast Corp. in 2016. Quibi is one of the most well-funded startups in the history of Hollywood, having raised about $1.75 billion from an array of entertainment firms and financial institutions.
The suit adds another challenge for Quibi, which specializes in short-form TV and movies for smartphones. Mr. Katzenberg has acknowledged that launching on April 6, in the middle of the coronavirus pandemic, has been a difficult situation. The service, which set ambitious growth targets, was conceived as an entertainment option for people on the go—commuting or waiting in line—but now must target consumers who are staying at home during the crisis.
Mr. Katzenberg and Quibi Chief Executive Meg Whitman have pointed to the Turnstyle feature as a major point of differentiation in the streaming world, where Quibi competes for viewers with everyone from Netflix Inc. to Disney+ to YouTube. Creators could use the technology to show multiple perspectives. For example, viewers could see a scene from one angle, such as a character speaking into a phone, and then tilt the device to see the person on the other end of the phone.
Mr. Katzenberg is no stranger to high-stakes litigation. He famously waged a bitter legal battle with Disney over the terms of his contract with the company, seeking a share of profits from hits such as “The Little Mermaid” and “Beauty and the Beast” that he helped shepherd. Mr. Katzenberg settled the dispute in 1999 for about $280 million.
Lenders take diverging approaches in making provisions for coronavirus damage
US and European banks are on track to book more than $50bn of charges on souring loans in the first quarter, the biggest such provisions since the 2008-09 financial crisis, and an indication of the severe economic damage wrought by coronavirus.
The headline numbers mask dramatically different approaches across the industry, raising questions about how rigorous some banks are being in assessing possible future losses.
Among the biggest institutions, US banks have been the most cautious — boosting their reserves for potential bad loans by 350 per cent from the first quarter last year to $25bn — while European lenders have increased provisions by 269 per cent to about €16bn.
The full extent will become clear over the course of the coming week, when banks including France’s BNP Paribas, Dutch lender ING and Italy’s UniCredit report their earnings.
HSBC, Europe’s largest bank by assets, was the most pessimistic in tone during its results presentation, taking $3bn in initial provisions and warning losses could reach $11bn this year.
A notable outlier is Deutsche Bank, which provisioned just €500m in the first quarter, compared with £2.1bn at UK rival Barclays.
While many banks booked their highest loan loss provisions since the financial crisis, Deutsche has posted at least seven quarters in the past decade with greater loan loss charges.
“Given the current economic crisis is far worse than the one a decade ago, I do not understand how banks think they need fewer provisions,” said Sascha Steffen, professor of finance at Frankfurt School of Finance & Management.
Deutsche is “trying to kick the can down the road” and this approach could backfire later on when its equity buffer might be too small to cope if losses do surge, he added.
A senior German regulator said: “Banks currently have a massive margin of discretion and each is using it differently. Some are provisioning as much as they can comfortably stomach, others point to the high degree of uncertainty and are trying to limit [provisions].”
Some differences can be explained by varying business. Deutsche, for example, has less exposure to consumer credit, which is particularly vulnerable as virus-related lockdowns slash discretionary spending.
Meanwhile, new and untested international accounting rules require lenders to take steep losses earlier than under past regimes.
Following emergency guidance from European regulators to take a long-term view and not be too “mechanistic”, Deutsche amended its approach to the new accounting rules, known as IFRS 9. It now uses three-year average economic forecasts to model loan losses, compared with its previous policy of using quarterly assumptions.
As a consequence, the drop in GDP simulated in Deutsche's risk models is much milder, and hence fewer loans turn bad.
This is a “far more lenient accounting approach than adopted by peers,” said Citigroup analyst Andrew Coombs in a research note. “In 2020, Deutsche assumes a eurozone GDP decline of 6.9 per cent . . . [which] also looks optimistic.”
Kian Abouhossein, an analyst at JPMorgan, said he estimated credit losses could rise to €3bn by the end of the year, 50 per cent higher than Deutsche's current guidance.
Deutsche’s chief financial officer, James von Moltke, denied the bank was underestimating losses. On an earnings call, he argued that its risk management systems had improved, government support programmes in Germany had shielded the bank from the worst of the fallout and its corporate clients had held up better than retail customers at Barclays and the US banks.
“Some banks have gone big on Covid provisioning, others have not,” said Stuart Graham, founder of Autonomous Research. “Even if they all use the same bleak GDP forecasts, you then have to decide how effective the extraordinary government support measures will be in dulling the pain.
“Regulators don't want banks to switch off the taps for financing the real economy, which is a perfectly sensible objective,” he added.
German group’s battle to minimise financial damage from scandal hinges on test case
Six years ago, in early January, Herbert Gilbert bought a used Volkswagen Sharan minivan from a dealer in south-west Germany, for almost €31,500.
The model, which had 20,000km on the clock, contained a two-litre EA 189 diesel engine that was to gain notoriety over a year later, when VW admitted installing devices designed to defeat nitrogen oxide emissions tests in 11m cars.
On Tuesday, four-and-a-half years after the Dieselgate scandal broke, 65-year-old Mr Gilbert will become the first VW customer to have his demand for compensation heard in Germany’s highest civil court.
The ruling will have ramifications well beyond the confines of the Bundesgerichtshof.
If judges in the city of Karlsruhe support Mr Gilbert’s request for a full refund of the car’s purchase price, Volkswagen could be forced to pay out similar amounts to almost 100,000 claimants across Germany — a scenario VW insists remains unlikely.
The world’s largest carmaker has already spent more than €31bn on costs relating to the scandal, including a $10bn settlement in the US, reached mere months after the existence of cheat devices was brought to light.
In its home country, however, where Volkswagen was ordered to recall 2.4m vehicles, the process has not been as swift, with individual claims snaking their way through Germany’s complex legal system, often overwhelming local courts.
Volkswagen recently settled 235,000 such cases, following a mass lawsuit, and has paid out in tens of thousands of individual claims across the country.
But Mr Gilbert, who started his campaign at a district court in the spa town of Bad Kreuznach, became a test case when he refused any such deals, and challenged an early dismissal.
“My family has been driving Volkswagens for 50 years,” he said last week, “VW has always been a mark of quality for us.”
The purchase of a Sharan in 2014, Mr Gilbert said, was the biggest investment he had made in a car. He added that he had been lured by VW advertisements that highlighted the diesel engine’s environmental credentials by waving a white scarf against a car’s tailpipe, which remained unblemished.
“We knew about the need to protect the environment and the problems with air pollution and it was clear to me that if I bought a diesel, I would get the cleanest one from VW,” he said.
At the heart of Mr Gilbert’s claim is that he inadvertently entered into an unwanted contract, which he would like to exit by returning the car to VW for a full refund, plus interest.
Volkswagen, however, maintains he suffered no economic impairment, and that a software fix installed in his car in 2017 removed the defeat device.
Customers who installed this update, which was mandated by the country’s Federal Motor Transport Authority, the KBA, “did not suffer any loss of value due to the software, and they were able to use the vehicle at any time, which hundreds of thousands still do every day,” VW said.
Claus Goldenstein, the owner of the law firm acting for Mr Gilbert, which also represents 21,000 other Dieselgate claimants, said the case would provide legal certainty for consumers.
“On Tuesday, we will fight for a principle that will ensure that the diesel scandal does not end, but instead really begins now,” he said.
However, Mr Gilbert’s case is complicated by the fact that he did not purchase the car directly from Volkswagen, but from a dealership. VW argues that it was therefore not involved in the contract, and did not receive the sum he is claiming.
What’s more, the Wolfsburg-based carmaker is confident that if the judges award damages to Mr Gilbert, they will deduct the value of the car’s subsequent usage — namely the miles driven — resulting in a significantly smaller payout.
“There is not a single case in the higher regional courts that does not allow a deduction for the use of the property,” the company said.
Volkswagen has also mitigated the risk of an unwelcome verdict. Last week, the company revealed that it had paid out approximately €750m in settlements with 235,000 owners, who had originally sued VW in the country’s largest collective lawsuit.
Of those claimants, who will receive between €1,350 and €6,250 each, only 35,000 would still be able to refuse the settlement and sue independently, if the court indicates that it will rule in Mr Gilbert’s favour.
Yet, Volkswagen’s legal woes are unlikely to be over soon.
Last Thursday, EU advocate general Eleanor Sharpston advised the European Court of Justice that a technology installed in the vehicles of several large manufacturers constituted a “defeat device”.
Should her analysis be accepted by the ECJ, a flood of new compensation claims could follow, especially if Germany’s highest civil court paves the way by finding for Mr Gilbert.
An ECJ judgment “could very well make VW more liable to pay civil damages for vehicles with [newer diesel] engines”, said Christopher Rother, a veteran lawyer backed by British and American private equity firms, who has signed up 12,000 individual claimants.
“That is the highest risk for Volkswagen.”