FT : Malaysia plans civil action to recover $950m from 1MDB unit

Malaysia plans civil action to recover $950m from 1MDB unit
Funds were transferred to entities including BSI Bank and Julius Baer, finance minister says

Malaysia is planning civil action to claw back up to $950m allegedly siphoned off from a former subsidiary of 1MDB, the state investment fund at the heart of a multibillion-dollar embezzlement scandal. 

Lim Guan Eng, Malaysia’s finance minister, on Wednesday said in a statement that state pension fund Kwap had issued a RM4bn ($950m) loan to SRC International, a former 1MDB subsidiary set up to invest in energy and renewable resources.

Of that original RM4bn loan, RM3.6bn had been transferred from SRC to several offshore entities, including BSI Bank in Switzerland, Julius Baer in Hong Kong and a coal exploration company in Mongolia. 

“Considering a large portion of the funds had been used across the world, the government is taking the necessary steps to repatriate as much [as possible] of the 4 billion ringgit,” Mr Lim said in the statement. 

The move comes as Najib Razak — former Malaysian prime minister and founder of 1MDB — is facing four trials linked to 1MDB and state entities such as SRC as part of a probe launched by his successor Mahathir Mohamad into the scandal-ridden state fund. Mr Najib has pleaded not guilty to more than 40 charges involving abuse of power and money laundering.

Malaysia’s government was working with “relevant authorities” to track the allegedly embezzled money and with legal counsel to determine the civil action that could be pursued to recover SRC’s assets, Mr Lim said.

The finance minister said any SRC funds returned to Malaysia would be used to help repay the RM4bn loan issued by the state pension fund to the former 1MDB subsidiary, whose “burden . . . is fully borne by the federal government”. 

The announcement on Wednesday was the latest step in Malaysia’s attempt to recoup as much as it could of the $4.5bn that the US Department of Justice alleges went missing from 1MDB.

Malaysia’s government has said it faces up to RM43.9bn ($10.5bn) in debt repayments linked to 1MDB. It is also grappling with a weak fiscal position, having revised the 2018 fiscal deficit from 2.8 per cent to 3.7 per cent in the latest budget issued in November.

The charges against Mr Najib that are linked to SRC revolve around an alleged transfer of RM42m from SRC to his personal accounts at AmIslamic Bank, since renamed AmBank Islamic. Mr Lim said Wednesday’s announcement was not linked to the charges involving the RM42m transfers.

FT : Thales/cyber security: asymmetric war flair

Thales/cyber security: asymmetric war flair
Promised growth as a result of Gemalto deal could be tricky to realise

Archimedes was a most famous Greek philosopher who applied science to warfare. French defence, transport and aerospace group Thales is named after an earlier sage better known as a peacemaker. But swords now excite investors more than plough shares, judging from Wednesday’s results. Orders at the group’s defence and security division rose 14 per cent in the first half, pushing the stock up by more than 6 per cent.

A chart of Thales’s equity price reflects geopolitics over the past 30 years. Between the end of the cold war and 2012, the shares were broadly flat. Growing commercial aviation helped shares rise threefold from 2013. As global tensions return to the boil, demand for weapons is rising. The acquisition of cyber security group Gemalto earlier this year reflects warfare’s mission creep from the battlefield into the digital realm.

Thales paid €4.8bn for Gemalto, which makes up the bulk of a new digital identity and security division. The Dutch company brings expertise in fields such as biometric security and unmanned air traffic management. Thales believes cost savings will boost the division’s operating margin of 10 per cent as early as next year. But promised growth could be tricky to realise. The division’s orders still only matched sales of €830m.

Thales is hardly unique as a defence group muscling in on digital security. BAE’s cyber and intelligence division covers many of the areas in which Thales hopes to compete. Yet sales and profitability at the BAE division have struggled. Cyber spookery is a radically different business to fixing warplanes and warships.

Management challenges aside, private sector businesses have been slow to spend heavily on extra cyber security. It should help that penalties for data breaches are rising; in July, for example, the UK authorities threatened to fine British Airways £183m. 

Thales shares are now trading back in line with European defence peers at around 18 times forward earnings. If spending on conventional weapons falters, then Thales will need to work a lot harder to justify the philosophy that inspired it to buy Gemalto.

FT : US offers cash to tanker captains in bid to seize Iranian ships

US offers cash to tanker captains in bid to seize Iranian ships
Washington mixes bait and threats as ‘maximum pressure’ campaign against Tehran becomes unorthodox

Four days before the US imposed sanctions on an Iranian tanker suspected of shipping oil to Syria, the vessel’s Indian captain received an unusual email from the top Iran official at the Department of State.

“This is Brian Hook . . . I work for secretary of state Mike Pompeo and serve as the US Representative for Iran,” Mr Hook wrote to Akhilesh Kumar on August 26, according to several emails seen by the Financial Times. “I am writing with good news.” 

The “good news” was that the Trump administration was offering Mr Kumar several million dollars to pilot the ship — until recently known as the Grace 1 — to a country that would impound the vessel on behalf of the US. To make sure Mr Kumar did not mistake the email for a scam, it included an official state department phone number.

The remarkable outreach by such a high-ranking official was not an isolated case. Mr Hook, who heads the state department’s Iran Action Group, has emailed or texted roughly a dozen captains in recent months in an effort to scare mariners into understanding that helping Iran evade sanctions comes at a heavy price.

“Iran knows that the success of our pressure campaign depends on vigorous enforcement of oil sanctions,” Mr Hook told the FT. “We have collapsed Iran’s oil exports in a short period of time. We are working very closely with the maritime community to disrupt and deter illicit oil exports.”

The offer to Mr Kumar marks a new front in the US “maximum pressure” campaign designed to starve Iran of cash and persuade Tehran to come to the table to negotiate a broader deal than the nuclear accord that Iran signed with the Obama administration and world powers in 2015.

It came 11 days after the Iranian tanker was released by Gibraltar, where it had been at the centre of a stand-off between Iran and the west.

The vessel was seized by British commandos off Gibraltar in July on suspicions that it was carrying Iranian oil to Syria in breach of EU sanctions. After Iran said the oil would not go to Syria, a court in the British territory ordered its release last month despite a last-minute US legal bid to seize the vessel.

Mr Hook’s emails showed the US was not giving up. His offer to Mr Kumar, whose vessel is now known as Adrian Darya 1, came under “Rewards for Justice” — a 1984 programme to combat terrorism.

According to US officials, the US has recently started using the programme in its efforts to target Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps, and will offer rewards of up to $15m for information that helps the US disrupt Iranian illicit activities.

“With this money you can have any life you wish and be well-off in old age,” Mr Hook wrote in a second email to Mr Kumar that also included a warning. “If you choose not to take this easy path, life will be much harder for you.”

In the intervening two days, the US had watched as the Adrian Darya 1 made “doughnut” shape manoeuvres at sea that suggested Mr Kumar might have been deciding how to react. After the captain failed to respond, Mr Hook emailed him to say that the US Treasury had imposed sanctions on him. Mr Kumar did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

The US campaign comes as Iran threatens to take more steps by Friday to breach commitments made in the 2015 accord if Europe does not provide the financial rewards Tehran was guaranteed under the deal. While France, Germany and the UK are desperate to prevent Iran from going down that route, they are hamstrung by US sanctions.

The US effort to warn mariners about working with Iran comes as it looks for novel ways to pressure Tehran after imposing a raft of harsh sanctions during the past year.

The US official said Washington intended to start focusing even more on enforcement and would offer inducements to urge captains and crew to co-operate, while also threatening to revoke their US visas, which would prevent them from entering US waters, if they did not co-operate.

“We are trying to dry up their labour pool to move illicit oil,” said the official.

Several of the Adrian Darya 1 crew did not return to work after its release last month, according to a second US official.

The US has also warned shipping companies and their crews that they face possible prosecution for helping the Revolutionary Guard Corps, which has been designated a “foreign terrorist organisation” by the Trump administration.

The US Treasury on Wednesday unveiled a fresh swath of sanctions aimed at clamping down on the ability of the Revolutionary Guards to use shipping networks to evade American sanctions.

Washington is also warning ports around the world that they are putting themselves at risk by accepting Iranian ships, partly because of the threat of US sanctions but also because Iranian vessels are no longer able to obtain international insurance.

“We have been telling them that this is like a drunk driver driving without insurance and that they will be on the hook,” said the US official.

As part of the US campaign, the Iran Action Group convinced Panama, the biggest provider of “flags” to ships, to deregister 75 Iranian vessels suspected of illicit activities — including the then Grace 1.

At the weekend, the tanker turned off its transponder in waters off the Syrian coast, making it harder to track. But the US, which is monitoring its movements via satellite, says it is close to the port of Tartus. It expects the ship to unload its crude via ship-to-ship transfers since Syrian ports are unable to accommodate such as large tanker. 

The US viewed the UK as naive after it accepted Iranian foreign minister Mohammad Javad Zarif’s assurance that the ship was not bound for Syria. “It was a big mistake to trust Zarif,” Mr Pompeo said.

The US official said that if the ship delivered its cargo of 2.1m barrels of oil to Syria, it would “expose the Iranian regime for failing to keep its word” to the international community.

“It will force the Iranians into the broad daylight,” the official said.

>>> US Gapping down

Gapping down
In reaction to disappointing earnings/guidance
:

  • SB -15%, YRD -6.5%, EGAN -5.3%, TSN -4.6%, HQY -3.6%, .

Other news:

  • AERI -3.7% (to offer $250 mln convertible senior notes due 2024)
  • RWT -3.2% (prices upsized offering of 12.5 mln shares of its common stock at a public offering price of $16.08 per share)
  • WMS -3% (launches underwritten public offering of 7.5 mln shares of common stock)
  • JBLU -2.9% (cuts Q3 RASM guidance )
  • ADUS -2.6% (commenced public offering of 2 mln shares of common stock; also funds affiliated with Eos Partners intend to offer 500,000 shares)
  • ZG -2.4% (proposed offerings of $500 mln of convertible senior notes due 2024 and $500 mln of convertible senior notes due 2026)
  • TPTX -1.9% (files for 4.5 mln share common stock offering; announces updated interim clinical data of repotrectinib and preclinical data for TPX-0046, a novel RET/SRC inhibitor)
  • QSR -1.4% (announces receipt of exchange notice, intent to use common shares to satisfy exchange and commencement of secondary offering of common shares)

Analyst comments:

  • N/A.

>>> US Gapping up

Gapping up
In reaction to strong earnings/guidance
:

  • MIK +19.8%, COUP +12%, NAV +9.3%, GSM +4%, MCHP +1.5%

Other news:

  • SENS +10.9% (announces two positive Blue Cross Blue Shield coverage decisions for Eversense continuous glucose monitoring)
  • RARE +10.3% (announces positive data from second dose cohort of ongoing Phase 1/2 study of DTX401 for the treatment of glycogen storage disease type Ia)
  • PBYI +9.4% (NERLYNX granted FDA Orphan Drug Designation for the treatment of breast cancer patients with brain metastases)
  • BOX +8.2% (Starboard discloses 7.5% active stake)
  • RARX +5.8% (FDA granted Orphan Drug Designation to zilucoplan for the treatment of myasthenia gravis)
  • OMI +5.4% (extending today's climb higher)
  • ACB +3.2% (disposes of remaining 28,833,334 shares of The Green Organic Dutchman Holdings for aggregate gross proceeds of $86.5 mln)
  • FTV +3.2% (to separate into two independent, publicly traded companies)
  • SVM +2.7% (reports increased reserves and resources at the Gaocheng Mine)
  • CWH +2.7% (approved plan to strategically shift away from locations where the Company does not have the ability or where it is not feasible to sell and/or service RVs)
  • TPR +2.5% (names Chairman Jide Zeitlin as CEO; guidance reaffirmed)
  • TGH +1.4% (authorized $25 mln share repurchase program)
  • MYOV +1% (staging another unusual after hours move; scheduled to present at several conferences this month), . 

Analyst comments:

  • STMP +2.8% (upgraded to Neutral from Sell at ROTH Capital)
  • ATVI +2.7% (upgraded to Outperform from Market Perform at BMO Capital Markets)
  • CDTX +2.6% (upgraded to Outperform from Neutral at Wedbush)
  • TRIP +2.1% (upgraded to Neutral from Sell at UBS)
  • ROKU +1.9% (target raised to Street high $185 from $135 at DA Davidson)
  • CPB +0.9% (upgraded to Neutral from Underweight at Piper Jaffray)
  • EBS +0.9% (upgraded to Outperform from Market Perform at Wells Fargo)

>>> US Early premarket gappers

Early premarket gappers

Gapping up:

  • NAV +16.5%, COUP +11.7%, RARE +10.2%, PBYI +8.8%, BOX +7.1%, OMI +4.9%, GSM +4%, SVM +2.7%, CWH +2.7%, TLRY +1.7%, MCHP +1.5%, TGH +1.4%, MYOV +1%, NEWM +0.8%, BYND +0.6%

Gapping down:

  • SB -15%, YRD -6.5%, EGAN -5.3%, TSN -5.2%, AERI -4.4%, RWT -4.1%, JBLU -3.3%, ZG -2.7%, ADUS -2.6%, HQY -2.3%, TPTX -1.9%, QSR -1.4%