Renault chairman says merger with Nissan not the ‘ultimate step’
Jean-Dominique Senard insists focus of alliance will be on convergence rather than full combination
Renault chairman Jean-Dominique Senard has said a merger with Nissan is not the “ultimate step” for the carmaking alliance that has come close to collapse since the arrest of former chief executive Carlos Ghosn.
“A merger is probably not the right way to think about it,” he told the Financial Times.
He said that “convergence” between the two carmakers was “absolutely essential,” but that a full combination “probably isn’t the ultimate step” over the medium term.
A merger was discussed as recently as February, Mr Senard said, but had now been shelved because it “was seen in Japan as a real threat to [Nissan’s] independence and to its pride,” he added.
“For me it’s out of my mind, it doesn’t come to my mind I promise one second,” he said.
His comments are the clearest yet about the potential endgame of an alliance, which also includes Mitsubishi and has run for 20 years. The partnership was rocked by the arrest last November in Japan of Mr Ghosn, its totemic former boss, on charges of financial misconduct. Mr Ghosn denies allegations of wrongdoing.
Before his arrest, Mr Ghosn had been pushing for Nissan’s full merger with Renault, stirring up forces within the Japanese carmaker who resented what they saw as a takeover by their French partner.
The Renault chairman stressed that his immediate focus was to prove that the 20-year old alliance with Nissan could deliver “tangible proof” of its worth, with plans to launch more joint projects to foster collaboration that has been lacking.
“The first thing is to deliver. My obsession now is to show some change in 2020.”
Mr Senard was parachuted into Renault in January this year to settle the carmaker and bring some peace to the then-warring alliance.
Since then, he has reorganised the structure of the alliance, instituting a new board, and overseen changes to the leadership of both companies, which people close to the companies admit is critical to repairing the strained relationship.
His comments echoed those of new Nissan chief executive Makoto Uchida, who took the reins on Monday and said that “the priority is in finding how the alliance can contribute to each of the companies in raising their revenue and profits”.
Mr Ghosn’s plan was intended to end years of imbalance within the structure of the business, which was formed in 1999 when Renault and Nissan took stakes in each other.
At present, Renault owns 43 per cent of Nissan as well as having power to name certain directors, while Nissan holds 15 per cent of Renault shares but lacks any voting power.
In addition, the French state owns 15 per cent of Renault but has double voting rights, giving it potential influence over the running of Nissan as well.
On Monday, Nissan’s new chief executive Mr Uchida said the companies had shelved talks on changing the imbalances in the ownership structure in its alliance with Renault, saying the two carmakers would focus on reviving their struggling businesses.
Renault is expected to announce in the coming weeks a successor to chief executive Thierry Bolloré, who was ousted in October. The frontrunner is believed to be Luca de Meo, chief executive of Volkswagen’s Spanish brand Seat, a position that has given him experience in dealing with competing national interests.