Johnson calls on business to help tackle ventilator crisis
Prime minister will ask manufacturers to address shortage of vital kit
Boris Johnson will urge business leaders on Monday to lead a national effort to tackle the spread of coronavirus by ramping up efforts to fill a ventilator shortage in the UK.
The prime minister will host a call with companies including Dyson, Unipart Group and JCB, after the government admitted there were just 5,000 machines available in the National Health Service.
The government has already approached manufacturers, including Honda, about the possibility of opening up new production lines at their plants.
The move comes as the Department for Health confirmed on Sunday that 35 people with coronavirus had died while 1,372 people in the UK had now tested positive for the disease.
“Preparing for the spread of the coronavirus outbreak is a national priority and we’re calling on the manufacturing industry and all those with relevant expertise who might be able to help to come together to help the country tackle this national crisis,” a Downing Street spokesperson said.
“We need to step up production of vital equipment such as ventilators so that we can all help the most vulnerable, and we need businesses to come to us and help in this national effort.”
Honda told the FT the government had approached it about using its Swindon factory to manufacture ventilators.
The Japanese carmaker said discussions were at an early stage, and were expected to continue on Monday.
It is understood the discussions are around whether Honda could find space in its factory for impromptu lines to make ventilators, rather than about repurposing its car line, which would involve tearing out expensive and complicated machinery.
Other industry executives said companies could help existing ventilator manufacturers to ramp up production by lending resources, including engineers and technical staff.
“With the right level of resource — with people and funding — you could do this very quickly,” said one executive who had been contacted.
“Industry leaders will be very supportive. This is a critical piece of equipment that could save lives. Industry will pull together. But this has to be driven by Downing Street. The leadership has to make it happen. ”
Another industrial executive added: “If a company already has facilities in the UK that make these products and they want to run them 24 hours a day, seven days a week, we will happily lend them people to run the factories, work in the factories, whatever. If they need to move to 24/7 that is perfectly do-able. We are all willing to help but we need to know what they want to do.”
Chancellor Rishi Sunak used last week’s Budget to pledge a £12bn coronavirus stimulus package including support for businesses and workers who will be hit by the crisis.
Officials are now keeping close tabs on businesses in the UK, with daily calls to many of the major trade bodies from civil servants and ministers.
On Thursday last week, business secretary Alok Sharma held a conference call with trade groups to discuss issues facing companies — it was made clear to those on the call that this would be a more regular event as the government sought to keep businesses in operation.
Separately the government has held discussions with train bosses over the need for emergency measures in the face of falling passenger numbers on the rail network, according to people familiar with the matter.
Industry rail sources suggested the drop off in demand could push train operators to collapse if the government failed to do anything.
One industry source told the FT: “The risk is that the nationalisation of the entire rail system is very likely as nobody will be able to pay the franchise fees with the significant drop of passengers.”
On Monday, Britain’s defence secretary Ben Wallace will update MPs on military involvement in the government’s virus contingency measures with personnel expected to assist with transport logistics and planning.
Military officials said there were no plans to have troops guarding shops or hospitals.
However, if large numbers of police officers fall ill, then Ministry of Defence police could be redeployed to more standard civilian policing roles within forces, including guarding hospitals if that becomes necessary.
Police forces regard it as unlikely, based on the experience of other countries, that there will be social disorder as the outbreak progresses.
Deputy Chief Constable Paul Netherton, the lead on civil contingencies planning for the National Police Chiefs’ Council, said that, while forces planned for the “worst-case scenario”, that did not mean they expected it.