FT : Lebanese buy up property as government defaults

Lebanese buy up property as government defaults
Investors seeking safe haven for cash are driving a real estate boom

With Lebanon in default for the first time in its history, banks are in crisis and the economy is in freefall. But one sector is booming: property.

Desperate for a safe haven for their cash, citizens and professional investors have been buying up real estate at levels not seen for years in Lebanon’s previously stagnant property market.

At one central Beirut real estate agent, where the five-member team has toiled for months to the sound of the protests that have engulfed the Lebanese capital since October, the clients just keep calling. “At some point I just wanted to throw my phone against the wall,” said Chantal Mille Arida of B in Beirut.

Property sales in January jumped 27 per cent year-on-year, with a total of 4,668 real estate transactions executed, according to the finance ministry. In December, there were 6,000 transactions in Lebanon totalling $1.1bn.

The boom has been driven by Lebanon’s financial and economic crises, the combination of which meant Beirut’s government defaulted on a $1.2bn Eurobond that matured on Monday.

A shortage of dollars has forced commercial banks to introduce harsh restrictions on foreign currency transfers, while account holders face dollar withdrawal limits — in some cases as low as $200 every two weeks — and are unable to transfer cash abroad.

In this unpredictable environment investors have raced to move their funds out of the banks and into property, “not even caring about the price, just wanting to spend as fast as possible,” said Michel Georr, chief executive of CGI, real estate arm of conglomerate Saradar Group.

Between mid-November and mid-January, Mr Georr said he sold more properties than he shifted in the six years between 2013 and 2018. His turnover since October has averaged $1m per day, with demand so high that he has increased prices twice.

Before October, the property market was “dead”, said Guillaume Boudisseau, consultant at Ramco real estate advisers. “Then suddenly [it] was on fire.”

As the housing market has boomed, so have shares in construction companies such as Solidere, which owns tracts of prime Beirut real estate, and like other Lebanese stocks is not subject to foreign finance restrictions.

“Many people wanted to finally invest the money they had in their bank accounts into property. This has created a great dynamic real estate market, that resulted in thousands of transactions all over Lebanon and has also helped a lot of building constructors and real estate promoters to get out of debt,” said Philippe Dagher, an entrepreneur and investor.

At the same time, the bank restrictions have prompted the creation of several inventive schemes to take money offshore.

While property owners who have debts in Lebanon are willing to accept transfers from other domestic banks, other buyers and sellers are getting “very creative” about moving funds, said Aya Haddad, another partner at B in Beirut.

So great is the demand for physical money that people are often willing to accept hefty discounts. One property owner asked to be paid with five unsigned checks, so he could exchange them for cash with brokers who would take “a fee of 31 per cent”, recalled Ms Haddad.

One common arrangement is for depositors in Lebanon to agree to pay off a Lebanese bank loan owed by a company outside the country. That firm reimburses them in bank accounts they hold overseas, at discounts of 20 per cent to 30 per cent. One executive said his small advisory firm had brokered $15m worth of deals like this since October.

Any offshoring of foreign currency by elites further exacerbates the country’s financial problems. The BdL already has net negative foreign reserves, which rating agency Fitch said reveals “deep problems in the financial sector balance sheet”.

These creative schemes do not technically remove money from the banking system — rather they shuffle it between banks or cancel out bank loans. But there are widespread accusations that the super-rich with political connections have been able to transfer money abroad, a perception that has fuelled public anger.

“Transferring dollars out of the Lebanese banking system is extremely harmful to the smaller depositors who are unable to do so,” said Joan Chaker, an economist and former money trader. It is not just that rich people are getting away in lifeboats, she said: “The lifeboats are made with material plucked out of the ship’s hull.”

There are also risks for investors. Although many hope to secure value in bricks and mortar, “it’s a bubble”, said Roya Ghossein of B in Beirut. “I think in six, seven months, for the price of today’s flat you can buy maybe two.”

>>> US After Hours Summary: ZAGG -30.6% falls as it suspends its strat

After Hours Summary: ZAGG -30.6% falls as it suspends its strategic review

After Hours Gainers:

Companies trading higher in after hours in reaction to earnings/guidance: INSG +2%, WUBA +1.6%, TACO +0.6%, HUD +0.2%

Companies trading higher in after hours in reaction to news: SIEN +13.9% (closes $60 mln convertible notes financing), OI +3.6% (says its operating performance through Feb has been solid), CLSD +2.7% (announces license agreement with Arctic Vision for XIPERE in Greater China and S Korea), BGS +2.2% (extends and increases stock repurchase authorization), PDCE +1.5% (provides operational update), EBS +0.9% (initiated two product candidates for coronavirus)

After Hours Losers:

Companies trading lower in after hours in reaction to earnings/guidance: ZAGG -30.6% (also suspends its strategic review without finding suitable offer price), WPM -0.8%

Companies trading lower in after hours in reaction to news: CGEN -22.6% (stock offering), NVAX -2% (files mixed securities shelf offering), ATVI -1.5% (names veteran Google executive Daniel Alegre as COO)

FT : Natixis shares drop after H2O warns of large asset management losses

Natixis shares drop after H2O warns of large asset management losses
Recent performance of French bank’s funds unit has called into question its multi-boutique model

Natixis shares dropped sharply on Wednesday, making the French lender the worst-performing European bank as large losses at one of its asset management units alarmed investors.

The pressure on Natixis comes after H2O Asset Management, a London-based asset manager in which it has a 50.1 per cent stake, told clients that it had suffered “surprisingly large” losses during the recent market turmoil. 

The resurgence of volatility across markets on Monday left H2O’s flagship Multibonds fund down 20 per cent, according to data released on Wednesday.

Even before this week’s turmoil, its funds were nursing large losses this year. Multibonds has now lost 40 per cent since its peak last month, while smaller H2O funds have suffered even bigger falls.

Analysts said that the punishment meted out to Natixis reflected the importance of H2O, which was founded by Bruno Crastes and Vincent Chailley in 2010, to the French bank’s profits.

“The shares have lost some €1.7bn of relative performance since Thursday which, given the €0.2bn earnings contribution of H2O, doesn’t seem particularly unfair if the market factors in longer term impairment of the franchise,” analysts at Barclays noted.

Although H2O enjoyed stellar performance for several years, over the past 12 months it has been seen as increasing concern for Natixis, which is majority owned by French mutual group BPCE.

Last year, the Financial Times revealed that H2O had put more than €1bn of investors’ money into illiquid bonds linked to Lars Windhorst, a controversial German financier. The revelation triggered €8bn in outflows from its funds, prompting Mr Crastes to vow that he would never gate them.

Following this week’s losses, analysts at Barclays said that “clearly the risk is of further sizeable outflows in that context, particularly given the prior commitment of management not to gate.”

The recent performance of H2O has called into question Natixis’s multi-boutique model, which involves taking majority stakes in smaller investment firms that continue to be run at arm’s length. The French bank’s ability to manage risk also came under fire when a €260m loss linked to South Korean derivatives emerged in late 2018.

In November, Natixis unveiled measures aimed at reinforcing its risk management but an internal audit has not resulted in any further public changes.

Last month, François Riahi, the Natixis chief executive, told analysts that the bank had “always said that we are not releasing any audit we are doing. We will not make an exception”.

Shares in Natixis closed down 4.8 per cent on Wednesday, taking their decline this year to 40 per cent. France’s benchmark CAC 40 index finished 0.6 per cent lower.

Natixis, which, like other French lenders, has been hurt this week over concern about its exposure to the energy sector, declined to comment on Wednesday.

The latest letter to investors from H2O flagged that its funds have bounced back strongly from previous large losses during times of extreme volatility, including during the 2015 Greek government debt crisis.

FT : Fed to inject more money into short-term borrowing markets

Fed to inject more money into short-term borrowing markets

The Federal Reserve has once again ramped up the amount of money it is injecting into short-term borrowing markets, as concerns grow over potential funding pressures caused by the current market turmoil.

On Wednesday, the New York arm of the central bank announced it will increase the size of its overnight and short-term operations in the repo market, where investors exchange high-quality collateral such as Treasuries for cash. The move comes just days after the Fed increased the size of its loans in order “to support smooth functioning of funding markets”.

The Fed will now provide at least $175bn in overnight loans, up from $150bn offered up earlier in the week, between March 12 and April 13. It will also provide at least $45bn in two-week loans twice per week over the same period.

“The Desk will continue to adjust repo operations as needed to foster efficient and effective policy implementation,” it said in a statement.

The Fed will also offer three one-month loans of at least $50bn. The first operation will occur on Thursday, March 12.

>>> US Close Dow -5,86% S&P -4.89% Nasdaq -4,70% Russell -6.41%

Closing Stock Market Summary

It was an ugly day for stocks on Wednesday with the Dow Jones Industrial Average (-5.9%) closing in bear market territory, or down 20% from a recent high, amid recessionary fears induced by the coronavirus. The S&P 500 fell 4.9%, the Nasdaq Composite fell 4.7%, and the Russell 2000 fell 6.4%. 

The World Health Organization officially declared COVID-19 as a global pandemic, and with no stimulus plan enacted from Washington, the market was left with discouraging news updates that heightened the economic uncertainty.

Large events were banned in Washington State and San Francisco with many more getting canceled or delayed in other U.S. states. Dr. Fauci, the director for the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, cautioned that the worst is yet to come. President Trump was even reportedly considering new travel restrictions on Europe. 

It was an orderly retreat on Wall Street with sector losses ranging from 3.9% (health care) to 5.9% (industrials). The market did close off its lows, though, pulling the S&P 500 out of bear market territory, in front of a statement from President Trump tonight. 

Boeing (BA 189.08, -41.93, -18.2%) shares dropped 18% on news that it froze hiring and will be drawing on its $13.8 billion loan earlier than expected due to the coronavirus. PepsiCo (PEP 129.75, -4.39, -3.3%), meanwhile, secured a deal during the market turbulence, agreeing to purchase Rockstar Energy Beverages for $3.85 billion. 

Separately, the NY Fed announced it will raise daily oversight repo limits to $175 billion from $150 billion beginning tomorrow and continuing through April 13 in response to ugly market conditions caused by the coronavirus. Elsewhere, the Bank of England issued an emergency 50-basis points rate cut to 0.25%, but the UK's FTSE still declined 1.5%. 

Notably, U.S. Treasuries didn't exhibit the flight-to-safety one would expect during an exodus from stocks. Some profit taking and expectations that Washington will have to issue more debt to finance a fiscal stimulus plan were the leading explanations for the decline in bonds.

The 2-yr yield increased three basis points to 0.50%, and the 10-yr yield increased seven basis points to 0.82%. The U.S. Dollar Index increased 0.1% to 0.82%. WTI crude fell 3.7%, or $1.25, to $33.00/bbl amid news that Saudi Arabia ordered Saudi Aramco to boost production by 1 million barrels per day to 13 million barrels per day.  

Reviewing Wednesday's economic data, which featured the Consumer Price Index for February:

  • According to the BLS, the Consumer Price Index (CPI) increased 0.1% m/m in February (consensus 0.0%) while core CPI, which excludes food and energy, rose 0.2% (consensus 0.2%). Those changes left CPI up 2.3% yr/yr, versus 2.5% in January, and core CPI up 2.4%, versus 2.3% in January.
    • The key takeaway from the report is that it isn't going to alter the market's belief that the Federal Reserve will soon be cutting the target range for the fed funds rate in size at next week's FOMC meeting (if not sooner).
  • The Treasury Budget for February showed a deficit of $235.34 bln versus a deficit of $233.98 bln a year ago. The Treasury Budget data is not seasonally adjusted, so the February deficit cannot be compared to the deficit of $32.6 billion for January.
  • The weekly MBA Mortgage Applications Index surged 55.4% following a 15.1% increase in the prior week.

Looking ahead, investors will receive the Producer Price Index for February and the weekly Initial and Continuing Claims report on Thursday.

  • Nasdaq Composite -11.4% YTD
  • S&P 500 -15.2% YTD
  • Dow Jones Industrial Average -17.5% YTD
  • Russell 2000 -24.2% YTD